Tofino Hidden Gems
REAL talk time!!
I know you know this point where a touristy place passes into the realm of too touristy. I mean, who likes to feel as if they are on a field trip. We mostly all hate it, right? Especially in a town like Tofino, where there is so much to do / see / explore / enjoy.
Besides the usual famous place, with the main street offering cute shops and beautiful cafés – bistros and the incredible wild natural scenery around, there are also places off the main road that are must do's/ see.
Here are some of our top 10 things to do and see in Tofino.
1. Mackenzie Beach Resort. Located down by the beach and offering suites, vintage airstreams and oceanfront campground site, this resort is the perfect spot for a morning coffee steps away from the beach! Their new look and branding is astonishing.
2. The General Store Café. A.k.a Mackenzie Beach Resort's lobby newest addition. Kinda feeling like winding down? Kinda feeling like firing up? Didn't it happen to all of us to hesitate between an afternoon brew or a late afternoon coffee? Luckily for you, they have both ! Psst, it’s brand new and will definitely become the new hit-spot.
3. The hidden coffee shop in Tofino Sea Kayaking Company. That's where you'll take your #WorkingWithAView to a whole new level. A breathtaking spot to sit down and get things done! Write down 320 Main Street, Tofino in Google maps.
4. Sea Monster Noodle Bar for their poke bowls. We swear, they are the best pokes we have ever eaten. We're talking fresh tuna, edamame beans, kimchi, seaweed salad and so on. This stop fits perfectly with a planned picnic on a nearby beach. Whatever you feel like doing after, you first have to fuel up on good food!
5. Lil' Ronnie's B.B.Q. (either downtown at the end of Campbell street or at Mackenzie Beach Resort). The best B.B.Q. on Vancouver island. Their pulled pork is impressive and brisket sandwich/tacos are heaven on Earth. Warming ambience, especially at their beach location, so perfect and cozy that you'll want to stay for a second or third margarita. You're in for a treat my friend!
6. Tofino Licks. Located downtown, where Lil' Ronnie's B.B.Q. is, in what they call “The End of The Road Market”, Tofino Licks has collaborated with restaurants around town, like Sobo, & Tofino coffee roasting company, to bring you the best ice cream treats ever. Customizing your own dessert? Hell yeah! Definitely a Tofino local addiction.
7. Zoe’s Bakery and Café for a muffin & a coffee. On your way back home, stop in Ucluelet and grab yourself a delicious snack. So worth the little detour, I'm telling you! Have a look at nearby shops as well.
Okay, just realized that most of what I've suggested are food spots. Might be an issue, might not be. Oops! I guess there's good food in Tuff City, besides its fun waves for surfing, enjoyable hikes, and incredible sunset spots. So here we are with some other spots to hit...
8. Beach yoga class with Tofino Yoga. Wake up and stretch directly on the beach to the sound of the waves. Get more information about the classes here.
9. Cox Bay lookout hike. To get to the trails, go left once you’re on the beach until you get to the end. You’ll see the trails starting between rocks. If you’re not sure, ask people around. This little hike is a muddy one. Don’t expect your shoes to stay clean. Epic view guaranteed once you get to the top!
10. Watch a breathtaking sunset. It’s not really complicated, you’ll see an amazing sundown show at any beaches around Tofino. Bring your blanket, it gets chilly at night.
P.S: Don’t forget to stop by our little shop. We're tucked away behind the CIBC in that pink building, but easy to reach once you’re in town! We offer a nice selection of goods and local Tofino brands and makers that will suit a feminine clientele or the women in your life.
Hope to see ya soon,
Valerie from Merge